Friday, January 22, 2016

ME AND EARL AND THE DYING GIRL - Jesse Andrews [Book recommendation]

Book obtained from: Library, original hardcover [2012]

Description: Greg, the protagonist, and his friend Earl, high school seniors, like to make films. Another friend, Rachel, has leukemia.

Plot: Greg's mother “makes” him be friends with Rachel, a girl who has leukemia. Greg and Earl make a film for Rachel. Despite the sad subject matter, the book is actually a lighter read and funny.

Characterization: The characters are well developed, had their own distinct personalities, and sound exactly like high school students. Greg is a loner with self-esteem issues. Earl is a “black kid from a troubled home” but he is a good friend and likable. Rachel is not as developed as the boys but the book really isn't about her, it's about Greg and to some extent Earl.

Setting: A high school in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. The descriptions were good, I was able to picture every scene without it being over-described.

Other: I read the first release of this book [the one with the cover above] and NOT the revised/re-issued book. I have not seen the movie, this is a review of the book only.

Overall: I'm not someone who enjoys “tear-jerker” stories. I was pleasantly surprised by this book. It's a good story, on the lighter side of the serious subject matter. Funny. Made me laugh quite a few times. Greg, the narrator, often speaks directly to the reader with lines like “this book sucks” and “I don't know why I'm even writing this.” I would read more by this author.

Grade: A-


No comments:

Post a Comment