Friday, January 29, 2016

TOP SECRET TWENTY-ONE - Janet Evanovich [Book recommendation]

Book obtained from: Library New Books shelf, Audio book

Description: Stephanie Plum, the protagonist, is an inept but very lucky bounty-hunter. She also moonlights for her friend Ranger, a security expert and also bounty-hunter. In this story, she's looking for a used car dealer who skipped out on his bail.

Plot: Stephanie is looking for a used car dealer. Despite 21 “numbered” books and several “between-the-numbers” books, Stephanie really hasn't learned much since she started working as a bounty hunter. She's still inept and extremely lucky. But she and her friends also hysterically funny. Additionally, I am always amazed that Evanovich can weave together so many apparently unrelated storylines and have them related by the end of the book.

Characterization: The characters are reasonably well developed and had their own personalities, altho they are mostly the same characters from previous stories. I've read most of the Plum books, and I've read some reviews which state the characterization isn't as well-developed in this book as in previous books. So I guess it's best to read the books in order.

Setting: Trenton, New Jersey. The descriptions were good, I was able to picture every scene without it being over-described.

Other: Evanovich has received many reviews indicating that a certain percentage of readers are getting bored with the stories because Stephanie doesn't learn much about her job, and still hasn't made up her mind which, if either, of her boyfriends she'll choose. I suppose there is a bit of truth to that harsh criticism, but I enjoy her ineptitude and her inability to decide. I guess it hasn't gotten old for me yet.

Overall: A good, light mystery. Funny. I would read more by this author. In fact, I've read quite a bit by this author.

Grade: B+


No comments:

Post a Comment