Monday, January 30, 2023

This week in history #5

Last week's photos:
1849 Elizabeth Blackwell
1972 Shoichi Yokoi
1788 Sydney Harbor
1945 Auschwitz

Last year we looked at obscure holidays. This year, let’s look at major world events that occurred each week.  Make your best guess in the comments as to the years of each event.  No googling!

For week #5

February 1, ____ - Sixteen minutes before landing, the Space Shuttle Columbia broke apart in flight, killing all seven crew members.

February 3, ____ - The 15th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, guaranteeing the right of citizens to vote, regardless of race, color, or previous servitude.

February 3, ____ - The 16th Amendment to the US Constitution was ratified, granting Congress the authority to collect income taxes.

February 4, ____ - Twenty countries in the United Nations signed "Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment."


4 comments:

  1. Columbia was in the 80's but the rest I have no clue. I can see I am going to be rather terrible at your topic this year, lol.

    The major event I am aware of this week is it's the first week back to school after summer holidays ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guessing the decade is okay! And congrats on your kids going back-to-school. =)

      Delete
  2. Columbia came apart in 2003

    Amendment 15 was passed in 1869

    Amendment 16 passed in 1909

    I know that I know some facts about the U.N., but they are not responding.

    I crammed too much into my brain and have forgotten half of what is in there. I try not to add any more because it gets in the way of such mundane things as conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can definitely relate. There came a time when the old noggin was full and I now can no longer add anything more without something falling out the back end. One of these days it will be something important that falls out. Then I'll be in real trouble LOL

      Delete