Sunday, February 26, 2017

DAY 57 - This day in legal and military history

February 26
 

NATIONAL Tell a Fairy Tale Day

NATIONAL Pistachio Day
 


Today in legal and military [and occasional oddities] history
 

1891 The first buffalo was purchased for Golden Gate Park in San Francisco. A pair of bison, named Benjamin Harrison and Sarah Bernhardt, were settled in Golden Gate Park following reports that only 1000 were left in the US.
 

1919 Grand Canyon National Park was established
 

1924 US steel industry claims an eight-hour work day increases efficiency and employee relations
 

1933 Ground is broken for the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco

1935 Radio Detection and Ranging (RADAR) was first demonstrated by Robert Watson-Watt
 

1951 The 22nd Amendment is added to the Constitution limiting the Presidency to two terms
 

1968 Thirty-two African nations agree to boycott the Olympics because of the presence of South Africa
 

1977 The first flight of Space Shuttle atop a Boeing 747 took place

1993 A bomb explodes in the parking garage beneath the World Trade Center in New York City. Six people were killed and more than one thousand were injured.  The buildings themselves, once the world’s tallest, were nearly toppled by the bomb.  An underground restraining wall came precariously close to breaking and allowing the Hudson River to spill into the World Trade Center’s support area.

2 comments:

  1. I love your daily posts. Though I don't comment everyday it is one of my favorite reads.

    Now that I'm painting the Grand Canyon I'll keep in mind that it's been a monument for nearly a century. I hope it remains unspoiled.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Grand Canyon is truly a beautiful place. When you're finished with the painting, I hope you send me a photo or a link so I can see what you created.

      Glad you enjoy my daily posts!

      Delete