Monday, August 28, 2023

This week in history #35

Last week's photos:
1959 Hawaii
1986 Lake Nios
79 Vesuvius
1883 Krakatoa

Last year we looked at obscure holidays. This year, let’s look at major world events that occurred each week.  Make your best guess in the comments as to the years of each event.  No googling!

Week #35

August 28, ____ - More than 250,000 persons attended The March on Washington, a Civil Rights rally in Washington, DC at which Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. made his I Have a Dream speech.

August 31, ____ - Britain's Princess Diana died at age 36 after a high-speed car crash.

September 2, ____ - The Great Fire of London began in a bakery near the Tower, destroying more than 13,000 houses but claiming only six lives.

September 2, ____ - The British ended their use of the Julian calendar, switching to the Gregorian calendar. Wednesday, September 2, was followed by Thursday, September 14, resulting in rioting by people who demanded the missing eleven days back.

"Give us our 11 days!"




2 comments:

  1. I guess I should do this now instead of waiting for if anyone wanted to comment. Our first feeder band of rain from Idalia is sitting on us.

    I had a dream was first spoken in 1963

    The car crash death of Princess Diana was in 1997

    The 1600-1700 memory of English history is not really my strongest suite, but

    The great London Fire was 1666-1667

    The calendar change was around 1750 or 51

    I hope we don't end up being uncivilized by the lack of our basic comforts and I can see how I did, have a great week, Dena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just to let you know, I had no problems with Idalia, but I am going to have to help some friends cleanup.

    ReplyDelete