Friday, June 17, 2016

BLOOD ON SNOW by Jo Nesbo [Book recommendation]

Book obtained from: Library New Books shelf, Audio book

Description: Olav is a man who “fixes” problems for his boss as a contract killer in Oslo [Norway].

Plot:  Olav is asked by his boss to “fix” his boss's wife.  If he fixes her, he'll be next because he knows too much.  If he refuses, he'll be next because he refused.  To complicate matters, while he's watching her to decide what to do, he falls in love with her.  There are some rather violent scenes, but also several surprising plot twists.

Characterization: Olav is very well developed.  He's a sensitive guy in all areas except for the people he “fixes”.  He's dyslexic, not very good at much except being a contract killer, and longs to learn what it means to love and be loved.  The other characters are not as well developed as Olav.

Setting: Oslo, Norway.  This is the first book I've ever read that's set in that country.  The descriptions were good, I was able to picture every scene without it being over-described.

Other:  This is a rather short [225 pages] stand-alone book by this author, who is more well-known for his Harry Hole series.  The book is translated from Norwegian.  The audio book is read by Patti Smith, who reads this book in a monotone, which adds to the characterization, possibly unintentionally.  I wouldn't care for this style of narration if it didn't match the personality of the main character.

Overall: A very introspective, literary crime novel.

Grade: B

7 comments:

  1. My Mum enjoys reading Jo Nesbo books and has been urging me to give them a try. Must remember next time I'm at the library.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just returned from a second hand sale at my son's high school and coincidentally (fate?) I found a Jo Nesbo book! So it's now sitting on my TBR pile (which is scarily huge - it's in the 100s). "Hi, my name is AJ and I'm a bookaholic..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I thought *MY* TBR pile was large. Hundreds? Yikes! Hope you don't have earthquakes there. Enjoy the read!

      Delete
  3. I love Scandinavian crime fic. I can't remember the names of the authors I've read but Harry Hole rings a bell in my cheese brain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you know and like other Scandinavian crime authors, let me know their names and I'll check them out! Thanks

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the review. https://twitter.com/sheilamgood/status/744651142865510401

    ReplyDelete