Friday, December 2, 2016

PUSHING UP DAISIES by MC Beaton [Book recommendation]

Book obtained from: Library, new books shelf, audio book [2016]

Description: This is #27 in the Agatha Raisin mystery series.  In this book, Agatha [a private detective] is hired by a murdered man's son to find the killer.

Plot:  Agatha is hired by a murdered man's son to find the killer.  Lots of suspects.  Rather convoluted investigation.

Characterization:  I know the characters so well from previous books that I can't really say they are, or are not, well-rounded.  The new characters in this book aren't really that developed though.

Setting:  England, Cotswalds.  Nicely described, I was able to picture every scene.

Other:  The audio book was narrated by Penelope Keith and she did a reasonably nice job.  One thing that really stood out to me, were the inconsistencies.  For example, Mrs. Bloxby's first name ends up being different than it was in previous books, and Charles is a different age than he is in previous books.  Apparently the author and even the publisher didn't do any fact-checking or review for consistency or whatever you call that.  I've seen this happen with other “major” authors who have written a lot of books in a series [Janet Evanovich comes to mind, with several inconsistencies in her later books].

Overall:  I forgot most of what happened in this book almost immediately after I finished reading it.  It was enjoyable while I read it, but nothing really stood out to me.

Grade: B-

No comments:

Post a Comment