Tuesday, April 4, 2017

C is for Citizens

 
Citizens United v Federal Election Commission 
[January 21, 2010, decision 5-4]

The Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002 placed limits on election contributions by interest groups and national political parties.  All campaign advertisements must include a verbal statement to the effect of "I'm [Candidate's Name] and I approve this message."  It also prohibited ads paid for by corporations, unions, and other associations, which named a candidate, within 30 days of a primary election or 60 days of a general election.

During the 2008 election period, Citizens United wanted to pay for ads critical of Hillary Clinton.  These ads would not be permissible by the Bipartisan Campaign Reform Act of 2002.  Citizens United sued the Federal Election Commission, stating this restriction violated its free speech rights and the free speech rights of its members.

The Supreme Court ruled that the government cannot restrict the spending of corporations and unions for political campaigns, maintaining that it's their First Amendment right to support candidates as they choose.  The money can't be donated to any specific political party or candidate, but can be donated to Political Action Committees [PACs] which then could purchase advertising either in favor of, or criticizing, a candidate or issue.  President Obama expressed disapproval of the decision, calling it a victory for Wall Street and Big Business. 


Did you guess right?
Here's Wednesday's hint - D is for Dale.  Can you guess the case and what it's about?  Leave a comment!

10 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I need to go back and read the other two. I don't have a guess, but I am excited to learn more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to have a guess, but feel free to comment with a guess if you have one. Glad you're here.

      Delete
  2. I guessed right, but still needed the synopsis. Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on a correct guess! Hope the synopsis was also helpful.

      Delete
  3. I shoulda guessed right on that one, but I thought it was gonna be a freedom of assembly thing. Puts me at 0-for-3 in the early going. I'm about to connect on this next one and go 1-for-4 though. This is the Boy Scouts, I believe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You connected! 1-for-4. Too bad you died by drill before you could learn you won =)

      Delete
  4. When I retired in 2008 after 20 years in political office, the speaker at the dinner said he could never understand how I kept winning elections and that Citizens United MUST have been involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats on 20 years of public service! And I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

      Delete
  5. So THAT'S what a PAC is. I had NO bloomin' idea! I'm glad to know that. :)

    Calen~
    Impromptu Promptlings
    A to Z Challenge Letter D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad my post was helpful. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete