Sunday, April 9, 2017

DAY 99 - This day in legal and military history

April 9

NATIONAL Cherish an Antique Day
 

NATIONAL Former Prisoner of War Recognition Day
 

NATIONAL Name Yourself Day
 


Today in legal and military [and occasional oddities] history
 

1770 Capt James Cook discovers Botany Bay, Australia
 

1865 General Robert E. Lee surrenders to Union General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Courthouse, Virginia, ending the American Civil War
 

1914 The first full-color film, The World, The Flesh and the Devil, was shown in London
 

1963 Winston Churchill becomes the first honorary US citizen
 

1970 Paul McCartney announces the official break-up of the Beatles
 2003 Baghdad falls, ending Saddam Hussein’s 24-year rule

2 comments:

  1. I remember as a kid watching The World, The Flesh and the Devil. It certainly wasn't in color on the TV in our house. Of course, nothing was. I've remembered that movie so many times, maybe it was the first movie I ever saw. Thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never seen it. I'll have to see if I can check it out now.

      Delete