Monday, April 5, 2021

D is for Social Distancing

This year for the A-to-Z Challenge, I'll be looking at major events that happened in 2020 [the year we would all like to forget, so let's look at it first, before flushing it down the toilet].

Welcome to D!  We're looking at – SOCIAL DISTANCING.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Social_distancing_sprouts_sf_nm.jpg
Remember when standing that far apart would almost certainly mean someone would cut in line ahead of you?  Now, although it's not a guarantee, at least you have a decent chance of that not happening.

But what I'm most curious about, is why it's called SOCIAL distancing.  We still talk on the phone and text.  Now I have apps for Teams, Zoom, and Skype on my phone.  My oldest son lives in Seattle and we use Skype.  Some courts use Zoomgov, others use Teams, and some have their own system.  I've used all of them.  

I think the term should be PHYSICAL DISTANCING rather than social distancing.  Sure, we no longer give hugs or shake hands as greetings, but we're still SOCIAL.  We still meet, we just wave and bump elbows and stay six feet apart.  Just because we're physically distant doesn't mean we're socially distant.

What do you think?  Let us know in the comments.

Here's a teaser for tomorrow, letter E:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Covid-19_%27Alert_Level_4%27_highway_sign_%27Essential_Workers_We_Thank_You%27,_Wellington.jpg


11 comments:

  1. I think they tried to get us to change it to "physical" not long after the phrase was coined, but it didn't take.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds vaguely familiar. I definitely would have voted for physical.

      Delete
  2. Absolutly, it's about physical, not social. Strange to see how quickly people learn to stay far apart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to apologize for bumping into people accidentally. Now we apologize for getting within arms' distance. It's a strange world.

      Delete
  3. Will it feel totally weird when you can stand next to someone in work or in the street or in a pub and not have to stay 2 metres apart? I can't wait for it to end, whenever that will be!
    https://iainkellywriting.com/2021/04/05/the-state-trilogy-a-z-guide-d/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think my brain always added"from a" between those two words.

    Social from a distance seems to be what 75% of us aimed for. The other 25% has no respect.

    The hard part will be re-adapting when that new normal gets here.

    Threw a wrench at my Disney shutdown, Dena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! You can write about it on your blog =)

      Delete
  5. Yep. Social distancing is kind of a weird way to say it.

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree, Dena, that it should be physical distancing. But social seems to be the word that has stuck.

    ReplyDelete