Saturday, April 2, 2016

Military Definitions - B

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.
B Bravo
morse code dash dot dot dot
Barracks a building or group of buildings used to house soldiers or other military personnel.  My son's job as a Seabee [electrician] has been primarily refurbishing and repairing various barracks in several locations throughout the world.

Battalion a military unit consisting of several companies, each of which contains many soldiers or troops.  My son is assigned to a Navy construction battalion, meaning he is a Seabee [CB]. 

BFO - blinding flash of the obvious. 

Bivouac a temporary camp with little or no cover. 

Boat a submarine.  Not to be confused with ship, which is an above-water vessel. 

Boot camp - basic military training required for all new enlistees.  Initial active duty training is 12 weeks.  My son's boot camp was mid-January thru March at the Great Lakes Naval Facility north of Chicago.  Boot camp near Chicago in winter.   Brrrrrrr! 

Brig a military prison or jail on a ship or Navy base. 

Buddy-aid First aid provided by a non-medical Service member to another person. 

Bulkhead - the interior structural divider of a ship. 

Bull$h!t bomb slang for a device which distributes propaganda leaflets.



26 comments:

  1. I learned a lot of new words today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... so in a navy context, boat = sub. Didn't know that. I'm glad your son's enjoying his work. Sounds like something I'd be terrible at. I'd probably do more damage than repair! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He likes being outside and working with his hands. And he hasn't electrocuted himself yet, which is a big surprise to me LOL

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying them. They've been fun for me too.

      Delete
  4. You are building a great resource for anyone writing with a military character! Thank you. I hope you enjoy the month of blogging.
    @ScarlettBraden from
    Frankly Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really loving these definitions. Super informative and story inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be great if they inspired a story in you!

      Delete
  6. Wow I didn't know what several of these meant but I've heard them before.

    I'm visiting from the A to Z Challenge.

    Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I learned a lot when researching for these definitions. Hope you're enjoying the challenge.

      Delete
  7. Those are great words. I worked on an Air Force installation many moons ago and learned some of those words. ok one. Bravo. But still counts, right?

    Happy A to Z Challenge!

    Pam Margolis
    An Unconventional Librarian

    Co-Host, Blogging from A to Z April Challenge
    http://www.a-to-zchallenge.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is fun, I get to pick a new one to learn each day. I'm incapable of learning more than one any day, I'll be lucky enough to remember half by the end of the month. Today's entry: BFO! Never knew that acronym, but it sure makes sense, and no surprise it started in the military.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The military has way too many acronyms. Sometimes when I'm talking with my son, I tell him I need an interpreter.

      Delete
  9. HA! I loved the BS bomb.Will was in Ft. Campbell, KY for his and then they went to Louisiana for some deployment training. On several of their marches alligators lined the roadways, which made things interesting. Will told one of the guys, it's not the ones you can see you need to worry about. Those are the decoys. It's the ones you can't see.

    "Shut up, Weathers!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL yes! Right now my son is stationed in Gulfport MS. He has lots of swamp and jungle stories.

      Delete
  10. Hi. Dena. I'm loving your definitions - BFO is now a permanent part of my vocabulary. (Also - greetings from a fellow citizen of the Known Universe!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greetings! Yep, I like BFO also. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Very informative. I love the BFO one and I think I might be starting to use that at work!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you'll be having some fun at work! Enjoy and don't get fired =)

      Delete
  12. Hi Dena! LOVE the BS bomb - and am looking forward to see what you have for us in the rest of the alphabet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BS bomb is one of my favorites too! glad you're enjoying these.

      Delete