Thursday, April 7, 2016

Military Definitions - F

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.


F Foxtrot 
morse code dot dot dash dot

 
Fatigues - duty/work uniform, as opposed to dress uniform.

Field day - thorough cleanup of a barracks pending an inspection.

Field exercise An exercise conducted in the field under simulated war conditions.  Troops and weapons of one side are actually present, while those of the other side may be imaginary or in outline.

First Light The time of nautical twilight when the sun is 12 degrees below the horizon.

Flight deck In certain airplanes, an elevated compartment occupied by the operating crew.  The upper deck of an aircraft carrier that serves as a runway.

Friendly fire In casualty reporting, persons killed in action or wounded in action mistakenly or accidentally by friendly forces.

FUBAR - fouled up beyond all recognition.  Originally used f***ed up.


 

14 comments:

  1. It's interesting that "field day" means something so different in civilian life! I also find it interesting that I've heard FUBAR for years from me computer programmer friends. That term seems to resonate with lots of folks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did notice that some definitions were different than civilian definitions, sometimes VERY different. But some, like FUBAR, are pretty much the same =)

      Delete
  2. I'm enjoying these definitions so much. I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! FOULED up. I don't think so. Never heard anybody said "Fouled up" except a baseball announcer saying a pitched was fouled up behind home plate or some such.

    Also, never knew first light had such an exact definition. That's funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John! This is a PG rated blog! I hear fouled up a lot, probably because I'm not in the military lol

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. LOL yes. Cool. See, John and EM? It's cool. =)

      Delete
  5. FUBAR is my favorite. Has been for sometime. Fouled up? Nice try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can say is - it's my party and I can clean it up if I want to! LOL y'all are making me laugh.

      Delete
  6. "Fatigues," so called because you get worn out doing what you do while wearing them? :)

    I'm with you on the PG version of FUBAR, btw, Dena. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's probably why they're called fatigues! And yeah, I'm a PG sort of person. It's acceptable for me to tell a judge my case is fouled up. The other word, not so much.

      Delete
  7. I always thought "Field Day" was something good.

    Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. But apparently not in the military =)

      Delete