Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Military Definitions - V

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.


V – Victor
morse code – dot dot dot dash


Valuable cargo — cargo which may be of value during a later stage of the war. Personally, I like to think my son is included in this definition.

Very high -  a height above fifty thousand feet.  Yep, that's very high.

Very low - a height below five hundred feet.  Doesn't seem that low to me, unless it refers to actually flying that low.

Veteran - a person who has served or is serving in the armed forces. Those veterans who have had direct exposure to military conflict may also be referred to as war veterans.

Voice in the Sky – military base announcements broadcast over speakers.

Voluntold – an assignment that is technically voluntary but understood to be mandatory. My son tells me frequently about his voluntold assignments.

14 comments:

  1. Voluntold- that's a good one. I like the common sense use of phrases here - Very high or very low.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways I'm not too creative. I'm just common sense =)

      Delete
  2. It's interesting that "veteran" refers to those currently serving as well as those who served. When I've written in course materials about our military-friendly policies I've always referred to "veterans and those currently serving," but I guess that's redundant, and I can just drop the "currently serving" part since they're included. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the common usage is for those who are no longer in service, but I too was surprised that it included those currently serving. You might want to keep your wording the way it is now, to be sure everyone understands you mean ALL those serving and/or who have served.

      Delete
  3. We first encountered "voluntold" when Dan was coaching sailing at the US Naval Academy ... it is such a useful concept.

    -- Jaye @ Life Afloat

    http://lifeafloatarchives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my son says he uses it frequently, because those types of "volunteer opportunities" are frequent.

      Delete
  4. Didn't know about voluntold. Thanks for sharing.

    Nilanjana.
    Ninja Minion, A-Z 2016
    Madly-in-Verse

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally surprises me that Voice in the Sky isn't some sort of acronym. Like maybe VITO, Voice In The Overhead or some such, so you can say Vito's calling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that would be an interesting acronym, but I don't think the military needs any encouragement to increase the number of acronyms =)

      Delete
  6. Valuable cargo--yep. All those kids and spouses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huh! I wouldn't have thought that 'Very High' and 'Very Low' have actual heights attached to them - but it makes sense now, when I think about it.
    Thanks, as always, for a very informative post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just hear it now. "But Captain! I was only flying at 49,999 feet!" But just because this might make sense, don't think it means ALL military terms make sense =)

      Delete