Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Military Definitions - E

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.

E Echo 
morse code dot
 
Embed When a reporter stays with the military in order to conduct journalistic business. They are typically provided with security and basic necessities provided by the unit they are embedded with.

Encampment - a place with temporary accommodations, generally huts or tents, for troops or nomads.

Enlist to sign up with a branch of the armed services.  Enlistment generally begins at a local recruiting station, and is completed at the regional Military Entrance Processing Station [MEPS] facility, which for my son was in San Diego CA.  My son's enlistment period is 5 years active, 3 years reserve.  This means that after 5 years, he can re-enlist for another 5 years, or he can leave the service but will still be required to fulfill 3 years reserve.


16 comments:

  1. This is fascinating information. I hear these terms, sort of know some of them, but the others are a complete blank for me. Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love these morse code flag signs. Do they communicate by spelling words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Semaphore flags. Used to communicate between ships before we had radios. It's kind of an "old fashioned" method of communication now, but still interesting to me. My understanding is there were certain composite signals for certain words or concepts, but otherwise one ship would communicate with another ship [or land] by spelling words. Kind of like morse code but visual instead of auditory.

      Delete
  3. My cat is in Cat Scouts ( really, there is such a thing) and we just learned about the flagman symbols.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting. I didn't know encampments were by definition temporary! I'm learning so much. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. More great words. I know a lot of them. These I did, but some of the As and Bs, I did not really know. I have a lot of military friends and family so feel like I should be better informed on this kind of information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times my son speaks a foreign language and I need an interpreter, even when he's speaking English!

      Delete
  6. Dena, I'm really enjoying how you relate these definitions for us by applying them to your son's situation. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many times I don't understand the terms myself, until I can relate it to my son. Not sure if that's good or bad.

      Delete
  7. I get the idea of embedding journalists, but it always seems to me a bit of a liability. Especially since, as you say, the unit take responsibility for the journalist's safety. I can only imagine there are rules journalists have to follow (staying with the unit, not wandering off, etc.) so they don't jeopardize the mission or put soldiers in greater danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several years ago, one of our local journalists was embedded in a unit in Iraq. My memory is that he had some sort of military training. So I believe they also pick and choose their journalism personnel. They won't take just anyone.

      Delete