Saturday, April 16, 2016

Military Definitions - N

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.
N November
morse code dash dot
National Security Agency an intelligence organization of the United States government, responsible for monitoring, collection, and processing of global information.

Nautical mile a distance equal to one minute of arc on the Earth's surface.  The United States has adopted the international nautical mile equal to 1,852 meters or approximately 6,076 feet.  As a comparison, a land mile is 5,280 feet.

Navy from my son's new recruit handbook - The mission of the United States Navy is to protect and defend the right of the United States and our allies to move freely on the oceans and to protect our country against her enemies.  My son enlisted in the US Navy a little over 3 years ago as a Seabee [electrician].  He now holds the rank of E-4, or petty officer third class.  He is not assigned to a ship.  Seabees are assigned to Construction Battalions [CBs], and are transported mostly by plane.


12 comments:

  1. My husband is a sailor, so the nautical mile (and its related speed measure, the knot) is a very important part of our vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew the nautical mile wasn't the same as the "land mile" but not exactly how it was different. Say hi to your husband for me.

      Delete
  2. I love the sea. I love these definitions. Say thank you to your son every day. He is a one of the unsung heroes in this world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun going out with my son because lots of people thank him for his service [which is very nice] and he gets embarrassed =)

      Delete
  3. Good luck to your son, Dena. I wonder, is there a particular line a naval officer says for good luck? Akin to "break a leg" that you might say to an actor?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know they say "hoorah" as a motivator. See my H day. Not sure if there's anything else, and he went back to MS yesterday =(

      Delete
  4. It puzzled me for a long time why a nautical mile should be different to a "regular" mile. I read an explanation once, but I forget what it was. I'm not puzzled because I know there is a reason. I just don't remember what it was. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one minute arc on the earth's surface. So there's an actual reason why it's exactly as long as it is. Not like the rest of our regular, non-metric measurements that are related to the length of King George's foot [or whatever].

      Delete
  5. The nautical mile thing always stumped me; I knew it was more than a "land" mile, but I never knew by how much, or why. Best explanation ever :)

    Very cool theme, Dena! And thanks for the visit over at Life In Dogs; I'm glad you enjoyed the posts :) Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the explanation! And yes, I'm really enjoying your Life in Dogs blog. Hope you're enjoying AtoZ.

      Delete
  6. Wow! What a font of information you are! I had NO idea that a nautical mile differed from a land mile. Thank you for increasing my knowledge today! :D

    ReplyDelete