Saturday, April 9, 2016

Military Definitions - H

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.

 H Hotel
morse code dot dot dot dot  
Homeland security [Department of] A cabinet department with primary responsibilities of protecting the territory of the United States from, and responding to, terrorist attacks, man-made accidents, and natural disasters.   Whereas the military generally works to protect the US abroad, DHS works to protect the US at home.  Includes the departments of Immigration, Customs, Border Patrol, Citizenship, Transportation Security [TSA], Coast Guard, Secret Service, and FEMA.  Public awareness slogan - If you see something, say something.

Howitzer a cannon that combines certain characteristics of guns and mortars.

Hooah Army motivational slang, acknowledgment, most commonly used to respond to a verbal greeting or as an expression of motivation.

Hooyah or Hoorah Navy and Coast Guard equivalent of Hooah

Oorah Marine equivalent of Hooah

 

10 comments:

  1. I seem to recall the switch from INS to DHS happened during my application process for citizenship. As I recall I had started submitting stuff to INS, and a few months later it was DHS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work with a lady who just got her approval to be a US citizen [currently Canadian]. Now she's waiting for her day to swear in.

      Delete
  2. I always get tickled at the debates between Hooyah, Hoorah, and Oorah. They definitely are branch specific and very territorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I accidentally used the wrong one with my son. He was quick to correct me lol

      Delete
  3. I never could keep Hooyah, HOorah, and Oorah straight - which branch of the service they belonged to. Once more, very good information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As noted in my comment above, sometimes neither can I!

      Delete
  4. The only one I knew today was Homeland Security.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I only know Homeland Security. The others are all new to me!

    Shelly @ http://hangryfork.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew about Hooah, but not the Navy, Coast Guard or Marine equivalents - thank you!

    ReplyDelete