Friday, April 15, 2016

Military Definitions - M

A to Z Blogging Challenge.  My topic is MILITARY DEFINITIONS.
M Mike
morse code dash dash
Meat Identifier a dish or sauce that identifies the type of meat being served. For example, cranberry sauce indicates turkey, applesauce indicates pork chops.

Marine Corps a branch of the US Navy, the Marine Corps was founded as an infantry unit aboard naval vessels and responsible for the security of the ship and its crew.  Capable of rapid deployment. The Marine Corps is often assigned to non-combat missions such as the evacuation of Americans from unstable countries and providing humanitarian relief during natural disasters. In larger conflicts, Marines get into and hold an area until larger units can be mobilized. The Marines' Hymn dates back to the 19th century and is the oldest official song in the US armed forces. The Marine motto Semper Fidelis means always faithful in Latin, often appearing as Semper Fi; also the name of the official march of the Corps.

Medic military personnel who have been trained to at least an EMT-Basic level (16 week course in the US Army), and are responsible for providing first aid and frontline trauma care on the battlefield, and continuing medical care in the absence of a readily available physician, including care for disease and battle injuries.

MEPS acronym for Military Entrance Processing Station.  There are 65 MEPS facilities throughout the US.  My son enlisted in the Navy thru the MEPS facility in San Diego CA.  He had to go three times to complete all of the requirements.

Merchant Marine - Fleets of US civilian and federally owned merchant vessels, managed by either the government or the private sector.  In times of peace, the USMM engages in commerce or transportation of goods and services in and out of the navigable waters of the United States.  In times of war, the USMM can be an auxiliary to the Navy, and can be called upon to deliver military personnel and materiel for the military.  The USMM Academy is one of the five military academies in the US.

MIA acronym for missing in action.  A casualty classification assigned to armed services personnel and other combatants who are reported missing during wartime. They may have been killed, wounded, become a prisoner of war, or deserted.  If deceased, neither their remains nor grave has been positively identified.

Midnight requisition - to steal or scrounge supplies from another unit without their approval or knowledge, usually after business hours/dark.

Midshipman - an officer cadet or a commissioned officer candidate of the junior-most rank, in the US Navy.

Military - also called the armed forces. Forces authorized to use deadly force, and weapons, to support the interests of the state and some or all of its citizens. The task of the military is usually defined as defense of the state and its citizens, and the prosecution of war against another state.

Munition - military weapons, ammunition, equipment, and stores.

17 comments:

  1. I've missed a week of your challenge. I find the military definitions fascinating and foreboding at the same time.

    Considering where I live, what's been going on the past year, and the military we see walking the streets on a daily basis, it makes me worry a bit.

    Tomorrow is my signing. If you have a chance to stop by my blog and see why I haven't been around, I'd be honored.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Meat Identifier"! I eat cranberry sauce and apple sauce on their own. Yum yum. They don't need to be spoiled by the addition of meat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that appears to be one of the advantages of being vegetarian =)

      Delete
  3. Does anyone else think it's creepy that our service people need a sauce to figure out what meat they're served? Come on! It's not enough that they're putting life and limb on the line for us? We need to serve them more identifiable meat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia made me laugh. Typical military humor, though. I have to go back and see if Dena listed birth control glasses under B.

    I'm enjoying these a lot. Will was sort of like Radar in MASH when he was in Iraq. He was an armorer, CO driver, convoy driver, but he also handled requisitions and did a lot of horse trading to get what his men needed. Sometimes it might have involved midnight requisitions. I doubt it. He's a good boy. *sage nod*

    I'm enjoying these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about listing birth control glasses, but decided against it. And my son has stories about midnight requisitions. He's a good boy, but he's also pragmatic =)

      Delete
  5. Hi Dena, just deleted and am reposting my comment because I realised it wasn't saying what I wanted it to: I'm shaking my head at 'meat identifier' - not because it doesn't make sense, because it does, but because I wouldn't have thought this would be a military thing!
    (And by 'shaking my head' I don't mean I'm disagreeing, I'm just bewildered!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. I deleted the first comment. And my son tells me that the people in his battalion actually do identify "what's for dinner" by the side dishes, so it's definitely a currently-used military term.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that. And thanks also for the update; that's so interesting. I trust you enjoyed his time on leave :D

      Delete
  6. Mike and semaphore... That takes me back to my Girl Scout days...

    Liz A. from
    Laws of Gravity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, me too! Altho I don't remember very much of that any more. Thanks for stopping by with that memory =)

      Delete
  7. Thanks fro sharing. I knew most of these, but a refresher never hurts. http://mhsusannematthews.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you came by. Hope you're enjoying the AtoZ challenge.

      Delete
  8. Meat identifier and Midnight requisitions...I never knew such things existed. Thanks for sharing, and Happy A to Zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were my two favorite Ms also. Happy AtoZ to you too!

      Delete